Saturday, June 13, 2009

Of Near Misses and Tight Spots

.

Of Near Misses.....

It always amazes me how many near-misses I've had in my life. Just a few weeks ago I was almost drilled in the side of my car by a teenager driving as pick-up truck. Yes, almost. I was driving down a four-land neighborhood road when the young man pulled up to a side street stop sign and rolled into my lane of traffic. He never stopped. I swerved. A near miss.

Last Wednesday a powerful storm pushed through Flower Mound, knocking down trees and downing power lines. I was without power for nearly two days. After the storm was over I surveyed the damage to my rental property. There were a lot of smaller twigs strewn about and some medium-sized branches down in the frontyard. The backyard was a different story. A huge pile of trees and branches lay in my yard, snapped off by the winds and piled up. The branches were very big and looked very healthy. I struggled to move a few this evening. One of them intrigued me. It had fallen off a tree near the house and landed no more than 10 feet from my living room. Another near miss!

I praise the Lord for my near misses. Each time they happen I'm reminded that the Lord is my High Protector — the One who has my back. And I believe He would have watched out for me even if the branch had fallen through the roof. Indeed, I guess He is also the God of Near Misses!

Of Tight Spots...

I've never worn jewelry. Oh, I've had a few watches through the years but what I'm referring to are necklaces, bracelets and rings. Last Saturday, I tried on my very first ring, a wedding band at Gordon's jewelry. It was strange to wear it in the store. To be honest, it felt quite restrictive. After all, my ring finger was used to being free! But it being a wedding ring and all, I guess it's only fitting that it should feel different. My life is like my ring finger. I was single and free before I asked my gal to marry me. No strings were attached. Like my finger, I never had the restrictions of engagement or marriage. But like my finger, I didn't realize what I had been missing. So as I tried on the ring I did so willingly, because my life now is not what it was before I popped the question. One person is gradually becoming two persons and we're gradually (sometimes, painfully) becoming one person.

Back to my finger... we found a great 6mm ring and purchased it at the store. I had my finger sized for the first time and then we were told the ring would be back mid-week. It arrived on Thursday. Today we went back to try on my new ring. It didn't fit! It was too small. So it has to go back to wherever it goes and either I get a new one or it somehow gets expanded.

Maybe it's a sign! Maybe not.

.

0 comments:

Post a Comment