Wednesday, January 6, 2010

On the 12th Day of Christmas...

... Christmas ended.

Today, the traditional "Feast Day of Epiphany" in the Orthodox, Anglican and Catholic Churches, marks the end of the Christmas season for me. Over the past few years I have tried to follow the liturgical Church calendar, partly for fun, partly out of a deep desire to connect with the Church of yesteryear, and partly out of necessity.

Partly for fun because I just love to do different things every year. For example, I put decorations in new places, arrange them in another order, and research different traditions to celebrate each year. A few years ago, I decided to "dig up the truth" about the Santa Claus tradition and ended up with a wonderful picture of a humble servant of God named Nicholas in the AD 300's. What I uncovered and read about this man made an impact on my life and how I approach Christmas giving. I like new things and don't mind doing something different than my family, friends and neighbors.

Out of a deep desire to connect with the Church of old because I think Church history is just really dang fascinating. It was largely withheld from me when I grew up because I was raised in evangelical churches, and I knew little about the saints of old, the councils, and the way things developed through the centuries. In college, I started to discover church history thanks to a personal study of Catholic and Greek Orthodox doctrine I undertook as I sorted through my own beliefs. I have since, though seminary and into church ministry, developed a deep desire to bridge the ways of the Church of old with the modern, conservative church. I tend to think most evangelical churches have thrown the baby out with the bath water, so to speak, and lost important liturgical links to the saints of old that would enhance our worship and help us teach our people. I love the feast days because they bring about a renewed consciousness of major church events, both in the age of apostles and through the first few centuries of the church.

Out of necessity, because church work and general busyness makes it very hard for me to celebrate before the end of Christmas Eve services. I found myself this season busier than most, with long days and longer nights wrapped up in service and event planning, production, and the fine details involved in both. So I wanted to actually enjoy Christmas for a few more weeks, free from the pre-Christmas rush. Can you blame me? My neighbors noticed, I'm sure that my lights and outsid decorations stayed up and my consciousness noticed that the Christmas carols kept going through my head (though I must confess they got old a while ago).

I love Christmas. But starting tomorrow, Christmas is over until next December. Or July. Whichever comes first. Hehehe...

So, for one last time, "Merry Christmas!"


-- John

0 comments:

Post a Comment