Sunday, November 28, 2010

It's the Holiday Season...


There's no zippity-do or hickory-dock yet but the Christmas season is upon us once again. In fact, as if Black Friday wasn't enough to kick off festivities, today is the first Sunday of Advent, the traditional church celebration leading up to Christmas Day. I've been trying in recent years to align my personal celebrations more with the traditional church calendar than the wall calendar, if for nothing more than to connect with the traditional church and add a bit more structure to my life. Epiphany, Lent, Holy Week, Advent, etc. — all have had a specific place in the church calendar through the centuries and most find their origins in the first three centuries of the church.

So today is the official start of the Christmas season according to the church. The season will end on January 6th (the 12th day of Christmas).

So... Merry Christmas!

This is a busy time of year for so many people, myself included. Things are hectic and crazy! There are holiday parties and holiday concerts, holiday lights and holiday wreaths. Holiday commercials and holiday sales. Gifts to buy and feasts to plan. And all within a four-week span. (sometimes I spontaneously rhyme) This year I find myself a little behind in just about everything Christmas related. I still haven't put up any decorations. In fact, my tree is sitting in pieces on my front porch. I don't have the will to put it together and garnish it yet.

I haven't even wound the clock. Isn't that sad?

It's the holiday season, a time reserved for peace and joy. The only time of year that actually stopped a war — if only one European battlefront during World War I. Seriously. Here's more. I watched a remarkable film a few years ago called Joyeux Noel about it. It's the holiday season, a time reserved for garland and bows. I love garland and red bows. They can make nearly any surface instantly look nice, from white columns to wrought iron fences to gray composite siding.

It's a good time of year, one that I look forward to every winter. I'll connect off-and-on during the season when time allows (busyness often hits hard during the holidays).

Keep the merry bells ringing and happy holidays to you!

.

0 comments:

Post a Comment