Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Advent Season

Well, Thanksgiving is behind us, the leftover turkey is in the freezer and now it's time once again to turn our full attention to Christmas. One of the oldest traditions in the Christian Church is the celebration of "Advent," which is the Latin word for "coming." It is a four-week celebration of the coming of Jesus Christ, celebrated initially in homes and later in churches. I've found Advent to be a wonderful thing to celebrate every year since it ties my generation of believers to those of yesteryear. There is a sense of completeness of the Church when celebrations of old are brought into the new.

Over a period of three years I wrote a daily Advent devotional and posted it on the web for family and friends. This year I have compiled and edited those devotionals into a PDF document that you can download and use at home. Each week I've focused on one aspect of Christ's coming: Light, Peace, Hope and Joy. At the beginning of the devotional I have given and explanation of the Advent elements, from the wreath to the candles. Please check it out. It may be of use to you, it may not. Download it HERE.

Today is the first Sunday of Advent. It is a day to explain the meaning of Christ's coming and prepare for the celebration.

I pray that you have a blessed and wonderful Advent celebration!

-- Brother John

.

0 comments:

Post a Comment