Thursday, November 5, 2009

A Whirlwind of Thoughts

Been awhile since I last posted on Growing Young. I'd love to excuse this e-absence by citing my personal laziness but that's not the case. Life has just sped up for me. Mega fast. Mixed into a busy holiday season of preparing and managing promotional campaigns was the busyness of planning a flag football game for my singles group and the death of my grandfather in Louisiana. As I write this entry, I'm planning another trip to Acadiana (French Louisiana) for my grandfather's funeral. He went to be with the Lord today after a terrible battle with lung cancer. He was 84 and a significant blessing to my life.

Over the last two weeks I have had a variety of thoughts that I'd like to share with you.

DEATH
  • Saying goodbye is never easy. As my grandfather lay in his hospital bed I placed my hand on his limp shoulder and said "I love you" over and over again. I could think of nothing more eloquent to say. I then drove for 45 minutes in stunned silence. I was doing okay emotionally until it was time to leave. Then I lost it.
  • Suffering is not the best way to die, but it often cannot be avoided. My grandfather struggled for breath and fought various symptoms for days. He was on morphine and other drugs constantly towards the end. I don't know how much pain he was in but the suffering was obvious.
  • Having a close family is a joy during times of trial.
  • Hospice has to be one of the toughest jobs one can have. Caring for the dying is one of the ultimate acts of servitude. I couldn't do it.
  • Dealing with death turns even the strongest of persons into a soul needing support. It was tough watching my grandmother care for her husband of 63 years. Very tough. Yet tender at the same time. Makes me cry even now.
It has been a tough few weeks for me and my family. Please keep us in your prayers.

Be God's!

0 comments:

Post a Comment