Saturday, October 24, 2009

Of Celibacy & the Church

I just read an interesting article by Marcy Hintz on Christianity Today's website calling for the respect of celibate singles in the Protestant church. Here it is:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/article_print.html?id=58801

There is nothing wrong with being single, no matter what age you are. Singleness is not a sin. In fact, it is a blessing. And "celibacy" means more than just being single -- it is an intentional decision to not pursue marriage in order to serve the Lord and serve His Church. Celibacy is intentional single-minded spirituality.

I wish more unmarried believers would choose the path of celibacy and intentionally dedicate their lives, for however long God calls them to this state, to pursuing the Lord and serving His Church. I'm not a big promoter of lifelong vows of celibacy but favor short-term, determined periods of celibacy.

I thought reading Marcy's article was a breath of fresh air. So I thought I'd share.

-- Brother John

.

0 comments:

Post a Comment