Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I'm Not in Carrollton Anymore

Just tonight I was reminded of how much things have changed in the last five years of my life. I was out for a late night shopping trip to Wal-Mart when I noticed the I-HOP restaurant on the corner of the mega store lot. Like Wal-Mart it is a 24-hour-a-day establishment, serving both the weary-eyed and the wide awake. It's the type of place I used to frequent late at night... five years ago.

I used to love late night trips to I-HOP when I lived in North Dallas/Carrollton. A full-time student at Dallas Seminary and part-time pastor at Gainesville Bible Church, I used to enjoy bringing my bible and notes to an empty I-HOP booth and studying the Word over omelets, pancakes and hot tea. I would stay up to two hours, chatting with the server, reading, thinking, relaxing... time was no enemy to me, then. I worked as a consultant for my dad's business, in addition to a few side jobs on weekends, so I didn't have daily 8am wake-up calls. Oh, I had classes at 8 or 9 some days, but not every day. Which meant I could afford to spend a couple hours at I-HOP every week.

Ministry was always on my mind when I went to I-HOP. The bible was a conversation starter, not an ender. I would pray before I went inside that God would allow an opportunity to come my way to minister to my server (and give me the right words to say) and He obliged several times. I'll never forget one gal I met working the graveyard shift named Keisha. She got curious when she saw me reading my bible and started a conversation with me about spiritual stuff. Our brief time ended with me praying with her for a tough family situation and her spiritual search. I doubt that I will ever forget that late night trip to I-HOP.

But things are different now. Five years later I have a job that requires my attendance at 9am nearly every morning. I can't afford to be out late at night like I want to be. I can't afford trips to I-HOP. And I kind of feel a little part of me missing. I-HOP wasn't just a ministry. It was rest. And time in the Word. Away from the distractions of my house and, sometimes, a break from the clutter of my brain. We all need a break from the clutter, don't we?

So I looked at I-HOP tonight and declined. There were only three cars out front, which I considered ideal but I'm sure the restaurant considered poor. I like space. And peace. Noisy restaurants usually drive me crazy.

It's amazing how my life has changed in five years. I've traded I-HOP for a paycheck, and think I need both. Maybe there's a compromise out there somewhere.

Be God's.

0 comments:

Post a Comment