Saturday, August 14, 2010

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like...

Christmas!

Or so the song says. For me, it's beginning to look a lot like the death march that leads to Christmas, then January activities.

As a communications professional working in a church environment, there are only a few times of the year that I find myself twirling my hair, twiddling my thumbs, and reading Yahoo articles on the 10 best places to live because of boredom. Those times are May 23rd, July 29th, December 26th, and April 18th. I'm busy every other time of the year. Never more than the period that begins August 1st and ends February 1st. THIS is the "March to Winter," when fall ministries are signing-up participants, other ministries are recruiting volunteers, Thanksgiving and Christmas planning begins, and, eventually, winter/spring ministry planning begins and is executed (along with my brain cells, I must add). We have new sermon series and returning mission teams, changes to the auditorium and electronic ministries. And everyone wants something from me and my good nature wants to give it to them — even at my own expense.

I enjoy it, though, and am very happy to be using my college and life skills to benefit my church. Do I want to be a park ranger or travel guide most days out of the year? You bet your socks I do! Sitting under a pine tree at 8,000 feet of elevation, explaining how Kit Carson, Coronado, or Lewis and Clark navigated their way across an impassible pass. Ahhh... dreams. But then a voice calls from outside my office: "John? John!? WHERE'S JOHN?!?). Everyone knows where I am. Bolted to my desk chair, mouse in one hand, keyboard in the other, hair disheveled, large drink parked precariously close to the desk edge. Been that way for hours. Got six or more hours to go. Even though I enjoy a lot of my job, I think my adventurous side is still on vacation in New Mexico. The fact that I'm still editing my vacation video doesn't help me mentally break from my June trip.

I've entered a stressful time starting this month and I'll be relying upon the grace and rest of God even more than I have before. Actually, I'm getting excited just thinking about Christmastime. Last year we had an amazing concert called, "A Christmas to Remember" that knocked everyone's socks off. I was the technical director for it and I can't wait to help produce this year's concert. I also can't wait to put together new graphics with Thanksgiving and Christmas themes. The graphic material for winter/Christmas is plentiful.

The snowman on my desk? Now that may be overkill.

We are, in some ways, entering the most wonderful time of the year. After Labor Day the weather generally starts cooling, the holidays are looming, and people return to a normal pace of life after the summer.

I'll try to post more frequently but fatigue zaps me most evenings. I work in front of a computer all day, leading me to want to leave mine off when I get home. I think my eyeballs can only look at artificial light for yay so long.

Have a great Saturday!



Looking ahead......

0 comments:

Post a Comment