Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My Afternoon in a Metal Tube


One thing I have concluded after spending a spiffy afternoon keeping still inside a noisy metal tube: I was not made for they and they were not made for me.

This afternoon I enjoyed tremendously (tongue in cheek here) a series of five MRI tests at a wonderful place here in Flower Mound. The place was nice, I must confess, and the people there were friendly and helpful, even when they chided me in the middle of my spinal exam, "Try to keep still as much as possible!" I had been in the metal MRI tube for 30 minutes and my shoulders, arms, backside, and neck were absolutely killing me.

Keeping still ain't easy. Especially when (confession time...) I'm not used to sleeping on my back. I'm a side sleeper. Always have been. if they had asked me to roll over on my side, I would've been good for hours. But on my back...? Can't stand it. But I had to. For five tests.

The technician and radiologist were swell folks and did their best to bear with me. I did my best to bear with them. Two and a half hours later, the radiologist informed me "we're all done!" After laying down for so long, I wondered if I could still walk. And if my insides would forgive me for violating their privacy. I can walk. But like a woman who didn't get flowers on Valentine's, my stomach's giving me the cold shoulder.

I've had seven tests done in the first three days of this week. Seen so many doctors, aides and techs, I'm starting to wonder if there's a convention somewhere around. Still no definitive answers on what is the cause of my arm and leg troubles. I'm really hoping the MRIs will shed light on what's going on at the brain and spine level. Those two areas seem to be the leading suspects in my case. Maybe it will be something less intimidating than the diseases mentioned. Maybe it will all go away one morning.

Maybe I just need to go somewhere where there's warm water, lots of sunshine, coconut trees, a hammock, and a cold glass of... iced tea. With sugar and a twist of lemon.

Can I get paid to do that?

Be God's!

.

0 comments:

Post a Comment