Saturday, April 24, 2010

A Song About Adventure

I wrote this one a few years back as a lullaby for a young boy. In some ways it sheds light on my yearning for adventure.

— John

Sweet Dreams

Standing on the beach I watch the tide roll out
Sending the boats out to sea
And I wonder, young man, how you’re doing right now
Chasing your heart’s deepest dream

Cause right here on the shore, it is such a bore
I’d rather be out on the sea
Sailing away to some far away land
There’s adventure just waiting for me!

So drift off away to a far away land
Of paupers and prophets and kings
May God ever hold you in the palm of His hand
And fill your young mind with sweet dreams

In every boy’s mind there’s a treasure to find
Of stories too good to believe
Of heroes and giants, villains and kings
Who play out a breathtaking scene

Maybe there are pirates! Maybe a storm!
Maybe a princess in need!
I’m never gonna know if I never go
To follow my heart’s deepest dream!

And I pray that you know what it means to find love
And love what it means to be free…

.

1 comments:

Melanie said...

Beautiful! So inspiring, John.

Post a Comment