Saturday, April 17, 2010

Strange in Time and Space

Tis a strange time we live in. Or so I have concluded. Earthquakes every week, a pesky volcano in Iceland, calm weather on the Bering Sea... just plain weird.

Some would point to the end times and say what we're experiencing is the like the "lead-in" or warm-up act. The only thing we're missing is a major war, which it seems this world is missing right now. Knock on wood. Call me a pessimist, but I tend to think the lead-in has been happening for nearly 2,000 years. Is this the precursor to the rapture or tribulation? No one knows. People in Saint Peter's day thought the end was near (or had somehow passed, 2 Peter 3). When the end comes is God the Father's responsibility to decide. And I'm pretty sure we're not going to know before Jesus, the Son, knows (Matt 24:36, Acts 1:7).

I just find this time in life to be strange yet fascinating. Deadly times for those in Haiti, Chile, Sumatra, Mexico or China. Frustrating times for those waiting for a flight to or from northern Europe. Scientists are saying that the number of earthquakes we're experiencing is nothing unusual compared to modern history. They just happen to be hitting close to heavily-populated areas and are being reported instantaneously through media like Twitter, Facebook, and camera-loaded cell phones. This shift in mass media communication is fascinating in itself and I may blog on it later.

Adding to the strangeness of this age we find ourselves in is the quirky movement of time. Maybe it's just a part of getting older, but I'm finding that time is passing really, really fast. Goodness, it's April 17th for crying out loud! What happened to March? It just whizzed by. I'd like to personally blame those earthquakes. After all, scientists say the 8.8-magnitude Chilean quake sped up the earth's rotation 1.26 microseconds, which means each earth day is now that much shorter. I thought so! I guess the earth's axis got shifted or something. Seems like scientists are saying a lot these days. About everything.

Strange times, I say. For both time and space. Strange.

I'm thankful that God is not like the earth (or, is not the earth). Otherwise, that earthquake may have just well knocked him off his throne! But there is no shifting with God, no turning out of character or place (James 1:17). He is the only steady thing, the only trustworthy being and even in these shorter days I find it very important to look towards Him and find my constant.

Be God's.

.

0 comments:

Post a Comment