Saturday, May 8, 2010

Endurance, Peace and a Whole Lotta Sand


Hiking may be one of the most spiritual things a person can do. It can be, if you have your eyes open, because lessons about faith and life are everywhere! For weeks now I have been wanting to get out of the house and go on a hike. So this afternoon I tested a new trail, Rocky Point Trail, here on the north shore of Grapevine Lake, not certain of what I'd find but resting confident in the review of a hiking website. "Easy trail with a pretty descent to a sandy beach," the website said. Or something different that I used my powers of interpretation on. The site also said, "may be sandy in places."

Harrumph, I said. I can take sand, I said. The whole shoreline ain't nothing but rock, I said. Harrumph.

Feeling confident in my powers of trail review interpretation, I packed a daypack with a blanket to sit on when I reached the trail's end, my camera should the right moment strike, matches because every survival show says you need matches or flint, and my spirit of adventure. The hike took a few hours this afternoon.

Harrumph, I said when I reached the trail head. Looked like a narrow lane slicing deep into the woods. Nothing special.
Harr, I said as I hit the first of many patches of weeds and thorns leaning over the trail. If not for my jeans, it would've been much tougher to bear the undergrowth. I used my camera tripod as a walking stick to knock some confidently out of my way.
Umph, I said, as I stared down the rocky drop-off in front of me. Thirty feet to the creek bed below. Two paths led down the decline. Both were rough.

At the bottom I relaxed a little. A beautiful meandering creek followed the trail towards the lake. It was postcard purdy but the last "umph" had me feeling like I wanted to just get to the beach and sit down. I work at a desk under florescent lights. Umphs hurt.

So does treading sand. "May be sandy in places?" The entire trail was nothing but deep sand FOR TWO MILES. The entire trail was but 3 1/2 miles. You do the math. There was sand going up hills and sand coming down. Sand in the valleys, sand on the plains. Sand under the vegetation, and sand in the air. Okay, maybe not the air, but I wouldn't have been surprised...

An hour later and ten pounds of sand in my boots, I reached the shore. It was... okay. Grapevine Lake isn't known for its picturesque sandy beaches and this one was actually better than most. I reclined in the sand, took a picture (above) and then prepared for the long haul back. I didn't want to go back. Not because of the beauty of the place. But I was worn out from walking in all that sand! And I had to go back through it? With rubber legs? Harr... umph.... ouch.

My hike taught me lessons in endurance, direction, hope, worry, anticipation, temptation, decision, negligence, accomplishment, adventure, danger, and peace. Yes, peace. In the midst of trial. I brought along my iPod to listen to music but ended up leaving it off. The sound of the birds, wind, water and bugs was very relaxing. It was peaceful. Would have been better without the airplane noise, chainsaws, blowers, and other assorted neighborhood sounds. But for Flower Mound, Texas, it wasn't bad. Kinda spiritual.

I haven't been able to move for hours.

Harrumph.

.

1 comments:

Jennifer Newton said...

Very cute, John. I love the little onomatopoetic words.

Post a Comment