Monday, May 10, 2010

A Splash of Mother's Day Poetry

Proverbs 31 is the penultimate passage on the virtues of a godly woman. A woman of virtue is trustworthy, hard working, tender and firm, a provider and of noble reputation to her community. What a remarkable life! Reminds me a lot of Ruth. She was hard-working, trustworthy, a provider for Naomi, and had a great reputation.

About five years ago, on the eve of a Mother's Day, I did a personal study of the Proverbs 31 passage and, being the poet wannabe, I put together a bit of poetry to reflect the woman I found in that passage. I've been sitting on it since then. So I thought I'd share.



A Song for Mothers

Blessed is the woman who’s heart will fear the Lord
Wisdom is her garment, peace comes forth from her word
Her children are her pride, in her heart forever adored

She works hard for no money, is prudent with her time
She gives up her own needs to see that her family is fine
She wears a garland of grace, her beauty is ever sublime

Blessed is the woman who raises her children in faith
Blessed is the woman who raises her children in faith
And by faith her children shall stand

The strength of the strong man, the wisdom of sages are hers
Blessed is the woman whose children are quick to bless her
She blesses her children with grace, what they don’t deserve

.

0 comments:

Post a Comment