Saturday, May 8, 2010

Scattershooting on a Saturday

On a lazy Saturday that is! I just wanted to share a few random thoughts from the week that was.

  • I made my weekly trip to Wal-Mart on Monday evening to shop for myself while observing human society at the same time. Wal-Marts are great places to observe societal behavior. For someone who thinks theologically and philosophically like myself, it's kinda the proverbial candystore of sociology. In no other place do you find the same diversity of races, religions, ages, and behaviors. Just be sure not to stare! After all, I was there to shop first.
    • Lately, I've been noticing a disturbing trend in the people I see. Many of them wear a sour or sad look on their faces and their body language seems to back up that expression. People just don't look happy. Couples come in, grab their cart, and then scowl as they walk silently towards their desired isle. Maybe they're perfectly happy inside and just happen to look dour on the outside. I don't know. But people do seem less joyous now compared to years past.
  • I've found that church ministry, in any form, is one of the hardest things I've ever done. Because of the dual nature of the local church, we are both a physical organization that need structure, budgets, salaries, and the like, but we are also a spiritual organization responsible for carrying out our part of the will of God on earth. This involves the shepherding of people's hearts, minds and, according to Hebrews 13:17, their souls. I've always taken this responsibility very seriously, no matter what my official position may be. I may not be paid to be a pastor anymore but my calling remains no matter where I work. If I see someone in need of something I believe I can provide, then I won't wait for a paid pastor to show up. I'll act. I hope you're bold enough to do the same. It's not easy fulfilling both the organizational and the spiritual functions of the local church. Many times there are sharp disagreements on the organizational part but agreement in the mission. Other times the organization is fine but there is contrast in the theological/spiritual realm. If both happen at the same time... when that happens it makes life difficult on all involved in church ministry.
  • Do you know what your spiritual gifts are? What are you passionate about? Discovering one's spiritual gifts feels tough at first and can often take a long time. I've been in the church all my life and I'm still discovering mine. I've tested the waters of most areas of church ministry, from childcare to children's ministry, Sunday school, small groups, worship, preaching, men's ministry, outreach, missions, etc. Some things I was gifted for. Others I clearly wasn't! So I've gradually weeded out some areas from my list of potential uses for my spiritual gifts and, in the process, have discovered a few of my gifts. I suggest you try a few new areas of ministry and service (don't commit long-term to them) and see what happens. Like me, in the process you may discover a few of your gifts. And I think you'll be really excited when you do.
Be God's!

.

0 comments:

Post a Comment