Saturday, August 15, 2009

I Lift My Eyes...

I've been doing a lot of reflecting lately about my vacation to California and Oklahoma. This verse came to my mind when I was out there:

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; From where shall my help come?" (Psalm 121:1)

I miss the mountains. One of the things I noticed when I was in Southern California was the abundance of what I'm calling "horizon candy." Everywhere I turned I found myself looking up. Here in North Texas, up means "tree tops." But in SoCal, it meant mountains. In fact, I missed the mountains so much that when I got back I knew that there were only a few places I wanted to go for the final four days of my vacation and each of my options contained mountains.

There is just something super spiritual about living near hills or mountains. Now, I don't mean to demean the plains or the woodlands, but looking up reminded me of two things: that God reigns from up there and I live down here. It put my life into perspective. Of course it is true that God reigns on both heaven and earth and inhabits all places in between but it is also true that often I lose my perspective and forget to look up to the mountains and call upon the Higher Power for help, comfort, or companionship. Too often I think of myself as ruler of mountain and valley when I actually rule neither. God does. And I live in the valley. But the good news is that God gives me glimpses of the mountains to tell me that all of life is not valley.

One day I'll live up in those mountains. Where God has His throne. Where the temperature is heaven and the trees grow tall and strong.

I miss looking up at the mountains.


.

1 comments:

Schweers' Mom said...

Reagan is so fortunate to go to school in Idyllwild, CA. The mountains are beautiful there and each time I visit I am so jealous of him being surrounded by such natural beauty. I loved the desert in Palm Springs/Palm Desert, too. If California weren't so expensive, I would move there in a heartbeat. Sounds like a wonderful adventure!

Post a Comment