Monday, June 14, 2010

As I continue to unpack, wash stuff, and get mentally prepared for going back to work, I just wanted to share with you a list of places I ventured off the beaten path the previous nine days. The list is staggering... even to me! The sad thing is that I regret that I didn't go more places.
  • Santa Rosa and Puerta de Luna (chasing a Cornado legend)
  • Villanueva and Villaneuva State Park (Spanish colony and amazing canyon area)
  • The Manzano Mountains of central NM
  • Abo Ruins church and pueblo (part of Salinas Pueblo Missions Nat'l Monument)
  • Qurai Ruins church and pueblo (part of same Nat'l Monument)
  • Albuquerque and Petroglyphs National Monument
  • El Malpais National Monument (lava flow and volcanoes)
  • El Morro National Monument (inscription rock for travelers)
  • The Bisti Badlands Wilderness Area (unique geological formations)
  • Aztec Ruins National Monument (a gigantic pueblo)
  • Durango, Pagosa Springs (my future home), Wolf Creek Pass, and Alamosa, Colorado
  • Great Sand Dunes National Park & Preserve
  • The Rio Grande Gorge (barely survived)
  • Taos & Angel Fire, NM
  • Bandelier National Monument (reached the gatehouse. costs $12 to enter. I said no.)
  • Valles Caldera National Preserve (a supervolcano)
  • Jemez State Monument (another pueblo and mission ruin)
  • Pecos National Historical Park (yet another pueblo and mission)
  • Fort Union National Monument & the Santa Fe National Historic Trail
  • Sugarite Canyon & State Park
  • Capulin Volcano National Monument
By my calculations, I managed to visit to some degree eight national monuments, two national preserves, one national park, one state monument, one wilderness area and five canyons.

A good vacation, I would think. Pictures and video are coming later on. For now I need to enjoy my second hot shower in the last 12 hours and dry my clothes to see which items survived the trip.

.

0 comments:

Post a Comment