Friday, June 4, 2010

Off the Beaten Path

Well, ladies and gents, I can finally let the cat out of the bag (speaking of which, why was the cat in the bag to begin with? And why can't the cat get itself out of the bag?) and announce the theme of my vacation.

"John Newton: Off the Beaten Path"

My goal is to explore the culturally, historically and geographically important sites that lie... off the beaten path. No interstate attractions, no mega-popular tourist traps, no way! I go to visit, document and explore the most interesting sites of America that lie on state highways and isolated byways, country roads and ancient trails. Places you may never know about if you're cruising at 75 mph on the interstate or fighting traffic in the suburbs.

Over the course of my young life I have found that a lot of America's history doesn't have "tourist" written on it. It's that rural bridge that was built during the war to bring supplies to the front lines, speeding up the outcome of battle and saving lives. It's the bayou mansion that was spared from burning during the Civil War, allowing a world famous painter to find refuge there during the South's darkest days and paint his masterpieces. It's the volcano that erupted a long time ago, spewing ash that coated the plains and desert lands, allowing for massive earth sculptures to be carved out of that ash by wind and rain and time. It's that ancient pueblo that sheltered a group of people for hundreds of years until a Spanish explorer came rumbling by and messed with their peaceful lives. It's America. Off the Beaten Path.

I have a fascination with those places that aided and embedded the history of this land and its people. Always have. From Texas history to the Santa Fe Trail to long lost railroads. I have loved it all and spent countless hours researching, reading and soaking it in.

So when I was looking for something to call my vacation adventure, I felt compelled to call it "John Newton: Off the Beaten Path." My dad suggested that I call it "John Versus the Volcano," which I also really like since I am going to New Mexico to see volcanic features. I was thinking more along the lines of "Survivor: El Malpais (The Badlands)." But I hope to avoid every kind of survival situation on this trip. I like the campgrounds, especially those with electricity. And I like Wi-fi and cities.

Tomorrow morning I take off from Flower Mound for the Texas panhandle to document the first few editions of OTBP, on still camera, video camera and in writing.

Oh, and I hope to get some rest. And have fun. I think I deserve it.

I'll check in through this blog whenever I can during my 9-day trip. I've heard that McDonald's now has free Wi-fi, as does Barnes and Noble, Borders, and other bookstores. I just hope my outdated laptop can connect. Otherwise... I shudder at the thought of nine days without the world wide web! Easy, mind, easy...

I need to finish packing for my trip. See y'all on the flip side of tomorrow!

— John

.

0 comments:

Post a Comment