Saturday, June 26, 2010

Indiana John & the Search for the Hot Water

Catchy title, methinks, but not too far off from reality. Seems I've been on a search for a hot, reliable shower all month, from the campground to my own home. Here is what I dream about these days:

Here is what I have now:
Or something like that. Here's why:

My water heater has finally reached its lifespan, a good 20 years of faithful service. I noticed a problem last Saturday when I found my bathroom carpet soaked in water and a puddle surrounding my water heater cabinet. The thing was leaking from the top and leaking from the bottom. Ever since, I've been trying to survive on short, leaky bursts of hot water and a lot of hope. My carpet is still damp a week later, though I've been drying it every evening this week. Even brought out a wet/dry vac my folks lent me.

Today I entertained three handymen as they looked over my situation and reported back to my landlord their repair and cost estimates. It's gonna cost. A. Lot. Mainly because of some code issues and the age of my small lake cabin. We'll see if Monday or Tuesday the thing can be replaced. Something tells me it won't be easy.

Such a take-for-granted thing, hot water is. When I was camping during my vacation I longed desperately for a hot shower every day. I got one at a state park the evening of day 4 and had some smaller sponge bath-esque showers along the way but not the long soak my body desired. I longed to return home not because I missed my stuff or even my family (though I did) but because I missed my shower!

I had it for a week. A glorious week. before I must once again embark on... "The Search for the Hot Water" (to be read with a dramatic voice). Stay tuned...

.

0 comments:

Post a Comment