Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Trip Diary: Day Three

 TRAVELOR'S NOTE: I'm a day behind in posting these due to computer, Wi-Fi and location issues. One day I will have an iPad just like the two million of you who bought one and my computer worries will cease, no? I'm typing this in Alamosa, Colorado after driving 400 miles. Great Sand Dunes National Park is my next stop. The sun is setting. Gotta go!

Day 3

Manzano Mtns. State Park to El Malpais National Monument

My campsite this time was more than I could have asked. I had quiet, a shelter with picnic table, flat space for my tent, and my car was parked within 10 feet of my shelter. Add to that the beauty of the ponderosa pines, the 7,000-foot altitude and the availability of restrooms with flush toilets and I was in hog heaven. I took it slow this morning and got my gear re-organized. I had found through two nights on the road that my stuff was most inconveniently packed. Sometimes I think a chimpanzee could do a better job than I of getting his ducks in a row. I had toiletries scattered in three places, flashlights in two places (which I could not remember), and electronics scattered all across the front of my car. I had electrical cords wrapped around electrical cords, maps and brochures on the passenger side floorboard, the seat, and in the armrest. Add to that my pillows, guitar (yes, I brought that!), camera cases and other odds and ends, and I must’ve resembled a drifter with all his earthly goods piled in his dirt-covered four-door sedan. I kind of feel like a drifter this week, to be honest. It’s an uneasy feeling. Yet freeing in some strange way.

I arrived at the Quarai Ruins National Monument about 8:30am, or 30 minutes before they officially opened. I got my camera stuff in order (somewhat) and headed around the gate and into the ruins complex. I got a tip from someone high up in the national monument that even though it was technically trespassing on federal land it was all right this morning. I will not reveal my source….

Nevertheless, I had a good 30 minutes all alone inside the cavernous ruins of the Quarai mission church and grounds. It was amazing! Quiet and eerie. Serene and sanctified. Perfect lighting for photography. And then the park ranger showed up. A few minutes before park opening. And saw me in the church with my video camera. Silence……..

It was all right. His name was Murt and he was just fine with my being there. In fact, I got him to talk on-camera about the mission and associated pueblo (score!). We chatted for about 20 minutes and he shadowed me around to point out various parts of the complex. I then took a bunch of pics and headed down the road. It was a wonderful experience.

The drive to Albuquerque was long but had its moments. I never cease to be amazed at the geography of New Mexico and how much it reminds me of another place I’ve been this past year: California. The mountains are the same, the valleys are the same, the vegetation is very similar, and the adobe/Spanish architecture is the same. All New Mexico is missing is the climate and the ocean. And the earthquakes. And the mudslides. And…. Oh, never mind.

I drove through Albuquerque and stopped off at Petroglyphs National Monument, my second monument of this trip. I was excited at seeing my first sight of lava (I don’t know why, just was) but not excited by the weather. Albuquerque was experiencing a record heat wave and temperatures were sweltering. I arrived at the monument in the middle of the day after three hours of driving and… you get the picture. I stopped at the visitor’s center and then drove out to part of a canyon that contained petroglyphs (ancient native paintings on rock). An exhausted man got out of an exhausted car and wandered around a bit, taking silly video, and then retreated to the air conditioning of said car. I went to the volcanoes part of the monument but stayed inside my car. Could’ve walked. Didn’t.

At least I can say I’ve been there.

The drive to Grants was uneventful and shorter than I anticipated. I exited at McCarty’s and made my way south along the eastern edge of El Malpais National Monument, a 117,000-acre lava flow with multiple cinder cone volcanoes and incredible sandstone bluffs. Extremely cool. Uber cool. Totally cool. Even though it was hot. Not the lava. Me. (pause for laughter) I found this place to me incredible and the lava was only one part. The sandstone bluffs and cliffs were unreal. UN-Real. Beautiful. I have pictures to show later. The lava was neat to walk on and observe as it remained frozen in its ancient pose. There was vegetation on a lot of it but not all. In fact, some sections looked like they had just cooled yesterday. Which they hadn’t. Thankfully.

I camped at a BLM (Bureau of Land Management) campground, the most rugged place I’ve been so far. There was no water. And the campsites were very rugged with rocks and cactus everywhere. I had a rough night in large part to the lack of organization of my stuff and my failure to execute the most basic of bathroom/shower shelters. I needed something out there, especially since there weren’t any tall trees and the ones I had on hand were scattered and cracking from drought.

Day 4 Preview…..

Drove Around El Malpais, shot video, took pictures, listened to music, and interacted with folks along the way. Visited the other side of Malpais and El Morro National Monument. Both were incredible places. Picked up some cinder from the side of Bandera Volcano. Quickly. Looked so cool I just had to have some. Besides, the volcano won’t miss it, right? Right? Oh, for the count, that would be four national monuments down, four more to go. Oh yeah. I have Aztec Ruins on tap for Day 5 with Great Sand Dunes National Park. Then Bandelier Nat’l Monument, Pecdon National Historic Park, Ft. Union, and Capulin Volcano.

I’m sitting at a McDonald’s in Grants typing this at the end of day 4. A teenage mom, her boyfriend/husband/friend was next to her and her 2-year-old daughter was at the end of the table. There were other teenagers present at the table. During the whole meal, her daughter was left to fend for herself, poor thing, while her mom denied her attention. Mom was too busy being a teenager with friends. I feel for that little girl because I wonder if she will ever feel loved and wanted. I don’t know the family situation, of course, but gals like that mom need Teen MOPS. I wish more churches would make a conscious effort to help young mothers learn how to be a mother. When a gal and guy choose to have a child (and it is a choice), they need to take that next step in their maturity and become adults, even if they are teenagers. Their old lives are gone.

Anyway, I have to find someplace close to camp. Tomorrow morning I want to go to Bisti Badlands, Aztec and southern Colorado. It’s a long drive but northwest New Mexico is void of good places to camp. I have to get through there tomorrow.

— John

Just after sunset over the rim of Villenueva canyon. I love night photography.

 Here's your typical flower picture. or thistle. Or... whatever. This is still from day two. I haven't uploaded any more pics yet due to laptop power issues.

2 comments:

Jennifer Newton said...

Just wanted to let you know I'm following your trip blog, O brother of mine. Hope the heat lets up!

Melanie Newton said...

Nice write-up. I, too, am following your trip blog. Can't wait to see the pics and videos.

Post a Comment