Sunday, June 13, 2010

Home, Sweaty Home

The adventure mobile rolled into the home office at 10pm sharp tonight and one tired, sweaty, scruffy and thinner adventurer got out. Had enough. For today.

It's very difficult to miss 60-percent humidity and 90 degrees. VERY hard to miss it. I didn't. Honestly, I don't think this climate suits me. Not even my suits suit me, but that's a different matter.

My trip was wonderful and tiring at the same time. I did rest, yes, but not so much that I started to dwell on the magnitude and circumstance of my travels. I had a very ambitious agenda for this odyssey and I was going alone.The more time I have to sit still and think, the more I dwell on my loneliness. So I kept moving. And it, for the most part, worked.

I hit seven national monuments, one national park, one national historical park, one national preserve, and one New Mexico state monument during my nine-day journey. I camped in six state parks, one national forest, and one Bureau of Land Management campground. I tried to stay at another national forest site but nearly got blown into the Rio Grande Gorge. But that's another story...  I drove 3,200 miles in my little warrior, a 2008 Ford Focus, averaging 36 miles per gallon (with a 14-gallon tank). And I stopped in more McDonald's than I'd like to admit to use the free Wi-Fi and snack on a dollar burger and dollar drink. Hey, I ain't roughin it without Dr. Pepper!

All in all, the trip made me realize that there was so much of this world I have not seen and I want to see it. I want to take pictures of it and video and share it with others who cannot escape their desks to see it in person. Though I wish each and every one of you would at some point in life. I love to travel and I love to drive. Especially down new paths to new places because I enjoy exploration and adventure. I learned many lessons but my energy is gone tongiht, so I'll share them with you in coming days.

Above all, I thank my High Protector for seeing me through this massive mission and getting me out of my own way. For I am my own worst enemy. All the devil has to do is stand back and watch. My pride took many hits during this trip and God's provision shined forth. He alone kept me on the road. And He kept me from hurting any poor New Mexicans as I steamed from place to place! God does care.

Good night!

— "Fearless" Newton

.

0 comments:

Post a Comment